Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

LUSH Buffy Body Butter: A Review

LUSH is one of my favorite places to go when I’m in the mood to impulse buy. I recently wandered in the LUSH store at Union Square after class one day looking for something new. Spring has arrived in NYC and the lure of a new exfoliator was too tempting. It is about that time for legs to come out of hibernation and expose themselves in flouncy dresses and frilly shorts.

I picked up a body butter in Buffy, one of their top selling products. Buffy (known as “The Backside Slayer”) is a solid square of cocoa butter, shea butter, ground rice, almonds, and aduki beans. It claims to be an intensive exfoliator as well as a moisturizer – touting no need for a post-shower moisturizer. For someone with notoriously dry skin, I was ready to take on the challenge.


7 oz Buffy Body Butter


The body butter does not take the place of soap, acting more as a treatment. After using your regular soap, massage Buffy on wet skin, concentrating on extras that need extra care. Use your hands to continue to massage the bits and pieces of the bar left on your skin. Pat your skin dry; make sure not to rub with a towel and rub off the leftover moisturizer.

I have fairly sensitive skin and I found Buffy to be the most abrasive exfoliator I have used. After my shower I found a few red marks left on my legs, though they faded within 30 minutes. Amazingly enough, I did not have to use an additional moisturizer after my shower. Buffy left a rich, moisturizing layer on my skin that kept me comfortable all day.


I see Buffy as a vital product in the cooler months, but I worry that in warmer climates the moisturizing layer may be too heavy. It is a bit greasy, and it takes hours to sink in completely. However, because of this, it makes an excellent moisturizer.

I have used this bar twice and I noticed the shea and cocoa butters are depleted more quickly than the exfoliators. This may result in the bar becoming more harsh of an exfoliator as I reach the end. It has been suggested to cut Buffy into smaller pieces in order to prevent this.


7 oz bar after two uses


Verdict: This product is in fact a true multi-tasker, fulfilling its claims to both exfoliate and deeply moisturize. I do not have to use a moisturizer after my shower, which is efficient for those strapped for time. It is perfect for cooler months, yet I fear it may be too heavy for warmer climates. I may repurchase Buffy in the winter months, but when I finish my current bar I will not immediately repurchase.


The product comes in two sizes: 3.3 oz and 7.0 oz at $11.95 and $22.95, respectively. It may not be the cheapest Lush product, but it delivers on its claims. Trust me, there won't be a flake of dry skin left on your body.  

No comments:

Post a Comment